qemu-devel

Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications

From: Christophe de Dinechin
Subject: Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:34:09 +0100

Thanks a bunch. This clarifies a number of my misconceptions about
how this is currently used. Most notably this one:

> On 15 Jan 2020, at 10:20, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> We don’t want the QAPI to let arbitrary fields of a QOM object
>> be modified, do we?
>
> We already do: QMP command qom-set.  If it breaks your guest, you get to
> keep the pieces.

Ouch. I certainly did not expect that.

"It is not what you don’t know that kills you, it is what you know that ain’t
so".

>>> http://dreamsongs.com/RiseOfWorseIsBetter.html
>>
>> You know that I positively hate this ;-)
>
> It's been a tough lesson for me, too.

Not sure I can call it a “lesson”. Much like a philosophy to fight against, IMO.

>> Well, I guess we can expand the schema. #ILoveJSON.
>
> Basing the QAPI language on JSON was a poor choice.  Not sure that's
> fixable at a reasonable cost.

Well, at least now I have a slightly better understanding of the related costs
and trade-offs. Thanks a lot for explaining.

Christophe