qemu-devel

Re: How to extend QEMU's vhost-user tests after implementing vhost-user-

From: Coiby Xu
Subject: Re: How to extend QEMU's vhost-user tests after implementing vhost-user-blk device backend
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 23:25:32 +0800

Hi Stefan,

I'm now writing the tests for vhost-user-blk device based on
tests/virtio-blk-test.c. But block_resize command doesn't apply to
vhost-user-blk device.

After launching vhost-user backend server, I type the following
command to connect to it

(qemu) chardev-add socket,id=char1,path=/tmp/vhost-user-blk_vhost.socket
(qemu) object_add memory-backend-memfd,id=mem,size=256M,share=on
(qemu) device_add vhost-user-blk-pci,id=blk0,chardev=char1
(qemu) block_resize blk0 512
Error: Cannot find device=blk0 nor node_name=

QEMU can't find the device although in the guest OS I can already
mount /dev/vda. And `info block` doesn't list the newly added
vhost-user-blk device,
(qemu) info block
disk (#block154): dpdk.img (raw)
    Attached to:      /machine/peripheral-anon/device[0]
    Cache mode:       writeback

floppy0: [not inserted]
    Attached to:      /machine/unattached/device[17]
    Removable device: not locked, tray closed

sd0: [not inserted]
    Removable device: not locked, tray close

It seems `info block` and `block_resize` only work with `drive_add`
which is not necessary for vhost-user-blk device. Should I let QEMU
support adding vhost-user backend device in the way similar to adding
NBD device(`drive_add -n buddy
file.driver=nbd,file.host=localhost,file.port=49153,file.export=disk,node-name=nbd_client1`),
i.e., a drive can be added via `drive_add -n buddy
file.driver=vhost-user,file.sock=/tmp/vhost-user-blk_vhost.socket,node-name=vhost_user_client1`?

Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Coiby