qemu-devel

Re: libcap vs libcap-ng mess

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: libcap vs libcap-ng mess
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 11:46:03 +0100

On 29/11/19 10:34, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
>>   y) Should we flip over to only using one or the other - what
>>      are the advantages?
> In libvirt we use libcap-ng. We picked this originally as its API
> design allows you do write simpler code than libcap in some cases
> You can see some docs & examples here:
>
>   https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/libcap-ng/
>
> So I vote for changing the 9p code to use libcap-ng.

It's not entirely trivial because fsdev-proxy-helper wants to keep the
effective set and clear the permitted set; in libcap-ng you can only
apply both sets at once, and you cannot choose only one of them in
capng_clear/capng_get_caps_process.  But it's doable, I'll take a look.

In the meanwhile, if someone else wants to look at the CI I would
appreciate that.

Paolo