qemu-devel

Re: [QUESTION] What is the best license option for new files introduced

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [QUESTION] What is the best license option for new files introduced in QEMU?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 20:25:59 +0100

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:49 PM Aleksandar Markovic
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I read LICENSE file, but I read also recent contributions, and it is
> not clear to me what version of GPL is best/recommended for new file
> just being introduced to QEMU:
>
> * GPL 2.0
> * GPL 2.0 (or later at your option)
> * GPL 2.1
> * GPL 2.1 (or later at your option)

Thomas pointed to me that I mixed up GPL and LGPL - which is true.

Still, the question remains with these options:

* GPL 2.0
* GPL 2.0 + wording "or later (at your option)"
* LGPL 2.1
* LGPL 2.1 + wording "or later (at your option)"

The context of my question is that I am reviewing a series that came
with files with different license preambles (or without it at all), and I
want to advice the submitters on the best option.

Sincerely,
Aleksandar