qemu-devel

Re: [PULL for-4.2-rc2 0/2] Tracing patches

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [PULL for-4.2-rc2 0/2] Tracing patches
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 22:35:27 +0100

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 10:14 PM Aleksandar Markovic
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 9:46 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The following changes since commit f086f22d6c068ba151b0f6e81e75a64f130df712:
> >
> >   Merge remote-tracking branch
> > 'remotes/awilliam/tags/vfio-fixes-20191118.0' into staging (2019-11-18
> > 21:35:48 +0000)
> >
> > are available in the Git repository at:
> >
> >   https://github.com/stefanha/qemu.git tags/tracing-pull-request
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 6b904f1a528a6d8c21f7fbdeab13b9603d1b6df7:
> >
> >   hw/mips/gt64xxx: Remove dynamic field width from trace events (2019-11-19
> > 16:17:05 +0000)

> > Pull request
> >
> > Tracing fixes for MIPS.

> Hello, Stefan, Philippe, Peter.
>
> This appears to be a duplicate of the pull request sent today by Philippe
> (and already applied by Peter just hours ago):
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-11/msg02894.html
>
> The patches from the two pull requests appear to be identical, except
> some minor details in commit messages: Stefan's versions contain
> "Message-Id:" identifiers, while Philippe's don't (my suggestion to
> Philippe is to include "Message-Id:" for all patches that are part of any
> pull request in future; this can be achieved effortlessly/automatically
> by applying patches using patchwork).
>
> In summary, for this very situation, it looks to me we are all set, no need
> for Peter to process this pull request.

And just another really friendly advice for Philippe: When you apply
some patches or a series to your pull request, just inform others
about that by replying to the patches or a series: "I applied XXX to
my queue/pull request" - this helps avoiding duplicate efforts like
it happened here. This is also reminder to me too, I didn't do it in
all cases of my applying to my my pull requests, and I should have,
but I will improve too.

Thanks for these fixes!

Aleksandar