qemu-devel

Re: Looking for issues/features for my first contribution

From: Rajath Shashidhara
Subject: Re: Looking for issues/features for my first contribution
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 12:49:18 -0600

Thank you Aleksandar ! This is really helpful.

Rajath Shashidhara

On 07-11-2019 07:33, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:37 AM Aleksandar Markovic
<address@hidden> wrote:

On Thursday, November 7, 2019, Rajath Shashidhara <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I am a Computer Science graduate student at The University of Texas at Austin
(UT, Austin). I am looking forward to contributing to qemu !

This semester, I am taking a class in Virtualization
(https://github.com/vijay03/cs378-f19) and contributing to a virtualization
related open-source project is a significant part of the course.
I would be interested in contributing a patchset to qemu - possibly a
self-contained feature or a reasonably complex bug fix that can be completed in
under a month's time. I did look at both the bugtracker and the QEMU Google
Summer of Code 2019 page [https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2019] for
ideas. However, I would be interested in hearing from the community and I would
be delighted if somebody can be suggest a suitable project !

Hello, Rajath!

Thank you for expressing interest in QEMU open source project.

There is certainly a place for you and your contributions in QEMU, and you are
very welcomed!

It looks to me the following project would fit your description:

'Implement emulation of DS3231 real time clock in QEMU'

Datasheet:

https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS3231.pdf

The steps needed to complete it (in my opinion):

- collect datasheets of as many as possible RTC chips already emulated in QEMU
(there are around of dozen of them, see folder hw/rtc)

I did a quick Google search on datasheets of existing RTC
implemtations, and the result is:

DS1338: https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1338-DS1338Z.pdf
M41T80: https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/m41t80.pdf
M48T59: http://www.elektronikjk.pl/elementy_czynne/IC/M48T59V.pdf
MC146818: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MC146818.pdf
PL031:
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0224c/real_time_clock_pl031_r1p3_technical_reference_manual_DDI0224C.pdf
TWL92230:
https://datasheet.octopart.com/TWL92230C-Texas-Instruments-datasheet-150321.pdf
Zynq RTC:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug1085-zynq-ultrascale-trm.pdf
(chapter 7)

Aleksandar

- do a comparative analysis of selected RTC implementations in QEMU

- get to know general QEMU device model

- design and implement DS3231 emulation

I can give you (unfortunately constrained by tight time limits) some help and
guidance. But there are other people in community too (more knowledgable in the
area than me).

I salute your initiative!

Yours,
Aleksandar

I am an advanced C programmer with both professional and academic background in systems
design & implementation - especially OS & Networks. Given my background, I feel
fairly confident that I can pickup the QEMU codebase quickly.

Eagerly looking forward to hearing from the community !

Thanks,
Rajath Shashidhara