qemu-devel

Re: backup_calculate_cluster_size does not consider source

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: Re: backup_calculate_cluster_size does not consider source
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 14:39:22 +0000

06.11.2019 16:52, Max Reitz wrote:
> On 06.11.19 14:34, Dietmar Maurer wrote:

>>> Yes, exactly, that’s why I’m saying it makes sense to me to increase the
>>> buffer size from the measly 64 kB that we currently have.  I just don’t
>>> see the point of increasing it exactly to the source cluster size.

>>> So you mean for cases where backup already chooses a 4 MB buffer size
>>> because the target has that cluster size?
>>
>> To make it clear. Backups from Ceph as source are slow.
>
> Yep, but if the target would be another ceph instance, the backup buffer
> size would be chosen to be 4 MB (AFAIU), so I was wondering whether you
> are referring to this effect, or to...
>
>> That is why we use a patched qemu version, which uses:
>>
>> cluster_size = Max_Block_Size(source, target)
>
> ...this.
>
> The main problem with the stall I mentioned is that I think one of the
> main use cases of backup is having a fast source and a slow (off-site)
> target.  In such cases, I suppose it becomes annoying if some guest
> writes (which were fast before the backup started) take a long time
> because the backup needs to copy quite a bit of data to off-site storage.
>
> (And blindly taking the source cluster size would mean that such things
> could happen if you use local qcow2 files with 2 MB clusters.)
>

> So I’d prefer decoupling the backup buffer size and the bitmap
> granularity, and then set the buffer size to maybe the MAX of source and
> target cluster sizes.  But I don’t know when I can get around to do that.

Note, that problem is not only in copy-before-write operations: if we have big
in-flight backup request from backup job itself, all new upcoming guest writes
to this area will have to wait.

> And then probably also cap it at 4 MB or 8 MB, because that happens to
> be what you need, but I’d prefer for it not to use tons of memory.  (The
> mirror job uses 1 MB per request, for up to 16 parallel requests; and
> the backup copy-before-write implementation currently (on master) copies
> 1 MB at a time (per concurrent request), and the whole memory usage of
> backup is limited at 128 MB.)
>
> (OTOH, the minimum should probably be 1 MB.)

Hmmm, I am preparing a patch set about backup, which includes increasing
of copied chunk size.. And somehow it leads to performance degradation on my
hdd.

===

What about the following solution: add empty qcow2 with cluster_size = 4M (ohh,
2M is maximum unfortunately) above ceph, enable copy-on-read on this node and
start
backup from it? The qcow2 node will be a local cache, which will solve both
problem
with unaligned read from ceph and copy-before-write time?

--
Best regards,
Vladimir