qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 0/1] Require Python >= 3.5 to build QEMU

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [PULL 0/1] Require Python >= 3.5 to build QEMU
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 20:25:03 +0000

Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 08:12:01AM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 21:34, Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > The following changes since commit
>> > 03bf012e523ecdf047ac56b2057950247256064d:
>> >
>> >   Merge remote-tracking branch 'remotes/kevin/tags/for-upstream' into
>> > staging (2019-10-25 14:59:53 +0100)
>> >
>> > are available in the Git repository at:
>> >
>> >   git://github.com/ehabkost/qemu.git tags/python-next-pull-request
>> >
>> > for you to fetch changes up to d24e417866f85229de1b75bc5c0a1d942451a842:
>> >
>> >   configure: Require Python >= 3.5 (2019-10-25 16:34:57 -0300)
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> > Require Python >= 3.5 to build QEMU
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> I can't apply this until we've fixed the tests/vm netbsd setup to
>> not use Python 2.
>
> Fixing tests/vm/netbsd is being tricky.  It looks like the
> configure patch will have to wait until after QEMU 4.2.0.  :(

I've posted fixes for the netbsd serial install but there are still
problems with the tests including what looks like a fairly serious
failure in the async code.

>> Have you tried a test run with Travis/etc/etc to check that none of
>> those CI configs need updating to have python3 available ?
>
> I have tested this pull request on Shippable, and I will take a
> look at Travis.  I'd appreciate help from the CI system
> maintainers (CCed) for the rest, as I don't have accounts in all
> our CI systems.

Setting up accounts on the others doesn't take long. I use the
CustomCIStatus template to instantiate all the buttons for my various
maintainer branches on the wiki, e.g.:

{{CustomCIStatus|user=stsquad|repo=qemu|branch=testing/next|ship_proj=5885eac43b653a0f00fa97f5}}

which means I just have to glance at the button state rather than going
through each individual CI's status pages.

> Do we expect maintainers to test their pull requests in all CI
> systems listed at the QEMU wiki[1]?  Do we have an official list
> of CI systems that you consider to be pull request blockers?

Well they all catch various things but none of them catch all the things
Peter's PR processing does. Historically Travis has been allowed to
slide because of test instability and timeouts. Having said that last I
checked everything was green so breaking any of the main CIs
(Travis/Shippable/Cirrus/Gitlab) indicates there is a problem that needs
to be fixed.

--
Alex Bennée