qemu-devel

Re: Missing PVR setting capability

From: Wayne Li
Subject: Re: Missing PVR setting capability
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 15:26:27 -0500

So it's been a little while and I've been trying some different approaches.  I think the problem I am having is because I don't have the required kernel modules loaded.  When I run lsmod I only see the following two modules loaded:

Module                  Size  Used by
nfsd                  100940  11
exportfs                6723  1 nfsd

The archlinux website says the following modules need to be running:

kvm_intel             245760  0
kvmgt                  28672  0
mdev                   20480  2 kvmgt,vfio_mdev
vfio                   32768  3 kvmgt,vfio_mdev,vfio_iommu_type1
kvm                   737280  2 kvmgt,kvm_intel
irqbypass              16384  1 kvm

Granted that I am running on a powerpc processor not an intel processor, the modules that I myself to need to load will be a little different from that.  But I can't find those modules to load on my device.  For example, I can't find a kvm.ko file on the device despite the fact that I was able to find the kvm directories I mentioned earlier.  Did I have to compile those modules myself?  In the kvm module directory there is C code and a makefile, but just running make doesn't work.

Note that I'm using a Yocto Linux system that I myself didn't build.  My coworker built the Linux system on SD card and was in the process of trying to figure out if kvm was actually enabled on the system or not before he left the company.  I'm learning about the system as I go.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 1:46 PM Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
On 22/10/2019 18.24, Wayne Li wrote:
> If I run "lsmod | grep kvm" nothing shows up but if I just do a "find .
> -name "kvm"" I get the following:
[...]
> ./sys/devices/virtual/misc/kvm
> ./sys/class/misc/kvm
> ./sys/kernel/debug/kvm
> ./sys/module/kvm
>
> I guess this shows my OS does have KVM on it?

Alright, I guess that means that KVM compiled into the kernel ... should
be fine, I think.

>  I added the two flags you
> mentioned when running QEMU (the -cpu and the -machine flags) but the
> -cpu flag doesn't seem like it's doing anything as even when I put a
> clearly wrong argument after the flag no error related to the cpu is
> thrown.  Also it says ppce500 is not a machine type and that the
> supported machines are:
>
> bamboo               bamboo
> boeing-machine       Boeing Machine
> none                 empty machine
> ref405ep             ref405ep
> taihu                taihu
> virtex-ml507         Xilinx Virtex ML507 reference design

Oh, are you running qemu-system-ppc instead of qemu-system-ppc64? I
thought these e*500 CPUs are 64-bit? Is your host kernel 64-bit or 32-bit?

Anyway, if you're using a modified version of QEMU, you should
definitely ask the people who did the modifications there.

 Thomas