qemu-devel

Re: USB-audio sound issues with qemu-system-ppc in Linux and Windows.

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: USB-audio sound issues with qemu-system-ppc in Linux and Windows.
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 11:45:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2019, Howard Spoelstra wrote:
I'd like to add to the previous report that similar issues are present in
OSX (Sierra) builds of qemu-system-ppc.

I think the problem is not specific to host OS so instead of giving debugging info for all hosts which would just confuse anyone trying to reproduce it, it may be better to just concentrate on Linux (as that's what most developers would have) and ignore Windows and OSX hosts for now.

It's probably also not specific to MacOS guests because I get similar crackling sound on sam460ex with the ES1370 device with AmigaOS4 and can reproduce the usb-audio shows up but does not make sound problem on mac99,via=pmu with MorphOS so maybe either it's something with the sound backend (like a buffer underflow in case of crackling that may be improved by tweaking some parameters but I don't know what parameters are available or how to set them) or maybe a problem with irqs (in case of no sound or crashing MacOS guest but I don't know how to debug that either). Or I may be completely wrong with my guesses so any advice from people knowing sound and USB emulation in QEMU better is very welcome. (Also likely there are more than one problem here so reporting them at once is also confusing, these may need to be debugged separately.)

So to most likely get useful feedback you should find a simple way to reproduce it with Linux host and guest and describe that in the shortest way to make it easy for interested developers to reproduce it then also cc your Gerd who is the audio and USB maintainer. Otherwise it's likely these will

correction: cc your message to Gerd

get ignored because nobody can reproduce it who would able to attempt debugging it.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan