qemu-devel

Re: Default CPU models on s390x and ppc64

From: David Hildenbrand
Subject: Re: Default CPU models on s390x and ppc64
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 18:18:22 +0200

On 17.10.19 18:13, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 17:09, David Hildenbrand <address@hidden> wrote:
The default model under KVM is "host", under TCG it's "qemu". We should
not use "qemu" under KVM, although it might work on some setups ...

Possibly a tangent, but on Arm the approach we used to deal
with "'-cpu host' only works for kvm" was to define a "-cpu max"
meaning "best thing you can give me", which is an alias for
-cpu host with KVM and an alias for a CPU with all the extra
features we have emulation support under TCG. Then users can
use '-cpu max' and have something that generally will DTRT
regardless of accelerator.

We do have "-cpu max" on s390x as well. (under TCG, it enables some additional features over "qemu", under KVM it is basically "host).

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb