qemu-devel

Re: Thoughts on VM fence infrastructure

From: Felipe Franciosi
Subject: Re: Thoughts on VM fence infrastructure
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 09:56:17 +0000

> On Oct 1, 2019, at 9:23 AM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> * Felipe Franciosi (address@hidden) wrote:

>>> Not sure; probably the safest is getting the kernel to SIGKILL it - but
>>> that's a complete nightmare to debug - your process just goes *pop*
>>> with no apparent reason why.
>>> I've not used SIGEV_THREAD - it looks promising though.
>>
>> I'm worried that SIGEV_THREAD could be a bit heavyweight (if it fires
>> up a new thread each time). On the other hand, as you said, SIGKILL
>> makes it harder to debug.
>>
>> Also, asking the kernel to defer the SIGKILL (ie. updating the timer)
>> needs to come from Qemu itself (eg. a timer in the main loop,
>> something we already ruled unsuitable, or a qmp command which
>> constitutes an external dependency that we also ruled undesirable).
>
> OK, there's two reasons I think this isn't that bad/is good:
>   a) It's an external dependency - but if it fails the result is the
>      system fails, rather than the system keeps on running; so I think
>      that's the balance you were after; it's the opposite from
>      the external watchdog.

Right. I like where you are coming from. And I think a mix of these
may be the best way forwards. I'll elaborate on it below.

>   b) You need some external system anyway to tell QEMU when it's
>      OK - what's your definitino of a failed system?

The feature is targeted at providing a self-fencing mechanism for
Qemu. If a host is unreachable for whatever reason (eg. sshd down, ovs
died, oomkiller took services out, physical network failure), it
should guarantee that VMs won't be running after a certain amount of
time. To your point, if this external software doesn't come in and
touch the file, that's because it can't reach the host or it wants the
host to self-fence. The qualifying Qemus should therefore be
considered dead after a "deadline" period (since the last time the
control file was touched).

>> What if, when self-fencing is enabled, Qemu kicks off a new thread
>> from the start which does nothing but periodically wake up, verify the
>> heartbeat condition and log()+abort() if required? (Then we wouldn't
>> need the kernel timer.)
>
> I'd make that thread bump the kernel timer along.

I think combining the thread's logic with the kernel timer makes the
whole thing a lot more solid. See below.

>>> Yes, you need something to enable it, and some safe way to retrigger
>>> the timer.  A qmp command marked as 'oob' might be the right way -
>>> another qm command can't block it.
>>
>> This qmp approach is slightly different than the external dependency
>> that itself kills Qemu; if it doesn't run, then Qemu dies because the
>> kernel timer is not updated. But this is also a heavyweight approach.
>> We are talking about a service that needs to frequently connect to all
>> running VMs on a host to reset the timer.
>>
>> But it does allow for the customisable heartbeat: the logic behind
>> what triggers the command is completely flexible.
>>
>> Thinking about this idea of a separate Qemu thread, one thing that
>> came to mind is this:
>>
>> qemu -fence heartbeat=/path/to/file,deadline=60[,recheck=5]
>>
>> Qemu could fire up a thread that stat()s <file> (every <recheck>
>> seconds or on a default interval) and log()+abort() the whole process
>> if the last modification time of the file is older than <deadline>. If
>> <file> goes away (ie. stat() gives ENOENT), then it either fences
>> immediately or ignores it, not sure which is more sensible.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> As above; I'm OK with using a file with that; but I'd make that thread
> bump the kernel timer along; if that thread gets stuck somehow the
> kernel still nukes your process.

Awesome. So check this out:

qemu -fence heartbeat=/path/to/file,deadline=60[,recheck=5][,harddeadline=61]

We can default <harddeadline> to <deadline+1> and enforce that:
-  <deadline> is a multiple of <recheck>.
- <harddeadline> is bigger than <deadline>

When <deadline> expires, we can log() + abort(), but if <harddeadline>
expires, we can rest assured the kernel will come around and SIGKILL
Qemu. If there's demand for it, this can later be enhanced by adding
more parameters which set the fence thread scheduling priority, &c.

If that sounds ok I'll send an RFC as soon as I get a chance and we
can take it from there.

F.