qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 15/36] memory: fix race between TCG and accesses

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 15/36] memory: fix race between TCG and accesses to dirty bitmap
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 14:45:52 +0200

On 26/08/19 14:19, dovgaluk wrote:
> This patch breaks the execution recording.
> While vCPU tries to lock replay mutex in main while loop,
> vga causes dirty memory sync and do_run_on_cpu call.
> This call waits for vCPU to process the work queue.

IIUC there is a deadlock because VGA (from the I/O thread) is holding
the replay mutex.  Next time, please include a quick description of who
waits for whom. :)

I think it should be enough to wrap the do_run_on_cpu on replay_mode ==
REPLAY_MODE_NONE, since the I/O and vCPU thread are anyway running in
lockstep when rr is active.  (This reasoning should also be in a comment).

Paolo