qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cryptic errors from PIP install if missing openssl-deve

From: Cleber Rosa
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cryptic errors from PIP install if missing openssl-devel
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 09:38:24 -0400

On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 12:09:24PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2019 at 03:57:17PM -0400, Cleber Rosa wrote:
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > I've pushed a branch here (most of the commits have already been sent
> > separately):
> >
> >    https://github.com/clebergnu/qemu/tree/ppc64
> >
> > I've tested on a RHEL 8 ppc64le Power 9, and it seems to work for me.
> > My steps for building QEMU:
> >
> >   - Configured with: '/home/cleber/src/qemu/configure' '--enable-slirp=git'
> > '--python=/usr/bin/python3'
> > '--target-list=x86_64-softmmu,ppc64-softmmu,arm-softmmu,aarch64-softmmu,mips-softmmu,mipsel-softmmu,mips64-softmmu,mips64el-softmmu,sh4-softmmu,s390x-softmmu,alpha-softmmu,m68k-softmmu,riscv64-softmmu'
> >   - make
> >   - make check-acceptance
> >
> > Would you be able to test if that branch works smoothly for you?
>
> So, with this tree I'm no longer getting problems if openssl-devel is
> not installed, so that much looks good.
>
> I am getting some different errors - I was seeing this before (with
> openssl-devel installed) sometimes, but only sometimes.  I haven't yet
> worked out a pattern for when they appeared.  They also don't appear
> to be fatal, the rest of the tests seem to be running ok.  Any ideas?
>
>  VENV    /home/dwg/qemu/build/rhel8/tests/venv
>   PIP     /home/dwg/qemu/tests/requirements.txt
>   AVOCADO tests/acceptance
> Error running method "run" of plugin "html": 'Namespace' object has no
> attribute 'get'
> Error running method "run" of plugin "varianter_cit": 'Namespace' object has
> no attribute 'get'

Hi David,

Yes, those should not be fatal.  Anyway, they are caused by two things:

 1) A second set of Avocado plugins installation with different versions
    than the Avocado installation on QEMU's tests venv

 2) The tests' venv, which is created with "--system-site-packages",
    option that is described as "Give the virtual environment access
    to the system site-packages dir."

The motivation to have "--system-site-packages" is that, if the user
had any of the "requirements.txt" depedencies installed system wide,
the venv would simply use it and skip downloads.  Maybe we should make
that an optional feature, disabled by default, so that the test's venv
is better isolated and more predictable by default.

Eduardo,

I remember we discussed #2, so your opinion is appreciated here.

Thanks,
- Cleber.