qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cryptic errors from PIP install if missing openssl-deve

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cryptic errors from PIP install if missing openssl-devel
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 11:51:17 +1000

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:31:25AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> If I attempt to run "make check-acceptance" on my POWER9, RHEL8.1
> machine when the openssl-devel package isn't installed, I get the
> following very cryptic error:
>
>   VENV    /home/dwg/qemu/build/rhel8/tests/venv
>   PIP     /home/dwg/qemu/tests/requirements.txt
> Command "/home/dwg/qemu/build/rhel8/tests/venv/bin/python -u -c "import
> setuptools,
> tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-la4el5r5/cryptography/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize,
>  'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n',
> '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record
> /tmp/pip-1efs22iz-record/install-record.txt
> --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers
> /home/dwg/qemu/build/rhel8/tests/venv/include/site/python3.6/cryptography"
> failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-la4el5r5/cryptography/
>
> Using V=1 doesn't give any more useful information, and it's not
> (easily) possible to manually re-run the given command since it relies
> on things in /tmp that are removed once the attempt finishes.
>
> I only figured out it was openssl-devel being missing that was the
> problem by (mostly) guesswork.  It would be really great if we could
> generate a more helpful error here.
>
> In addition, if I rerun "make check-acceptance" it no longer even
> attempts the PIP install, since tests/venv already exists in my build
> environment.  It then sort of works, but I think it might be hitting
> other errors because of the missing python packages.  Sorry that's a
> bit vague - I also seem to be getting unrelated errors that I'm still
> trying to figure out.

Fwiw, I also get an equally cryptic error that I haven't figured out
the cause for on my 32-bit Fedora container environment:

  VENV    /home/dwg/src/qemu/build/i386/tests/venv
  PIP     /home/dwg/src/qemu/tests/requirements.txt
  Failed building wheel for bcrypt
Could not build wheels for bcrypt which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed
directly
You are using pip version 19.0.3, however version 19.2.3 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

In this case the check definitely doesn't work - it doesn't appear to
have installed avocado in the venv.

  AVOCADO tests/acceptance
/home/dwg/src/qemu/build/i386/tests/venv/bin/python: No module named avocado

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson