qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2-rfc] [edk2-devel] CPU hotplug using SMM with QEMU

From: Kinney, Michael D
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2-rfc] [edk2-devel] CPU hotplug using SMM with QEMU+OVMF
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 22:32:37 +0000

Paolo,

It is my understanding that real HW hot plug uses the SDM defined
methods.  Meaning the initial SMI is to 3000:8000 and they rebase
to TSEG in the first SMI.  They must have chipset specific methods
to protect 3000:8000 from DMA.

Can we add a chipset feature to prevent DMA to 64KB range from
0x30000-0x3FFFF and the UEFI Memory Map and ACPI content can be
updated so the Guest OS knows to not use that range for DMA?

Thanks,

Mike