qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/2] ppc-for-4.1 queue 20190813

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/2] ppc-for-4.1 queue 20190813
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 00:16:07 +1000

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:45:51PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 10:23, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 07:59, David Gibson <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > The following changes since commit
> > > 5e7bcdcfe69ce0fad66012b2cfb2035003c37eef:
> > >
> > >   display/bochs: fix pcie support (2019-08-12 16:36:41 +0100)
> > >
> > > are available in the Git repository at:
> > >
> > >   git://github.com/dgibson/qemu.git tags/ppc-for-4.1-20190813
> > >
> > > for you to fetch changes up to 310cda5b5e9df642b19a0e9c504368ffba3b3ab9:
> > >
> > >   spapr/xive: Fix migration of hot-plugged CPUs (2019-08-13 16:50:30
> > > +1000)

> > > ppc patch queue 2019-08-13 (last minute qemu-4.1 fixes)
> > >
> > > Here's a very, very last minute pull request for qemu-4.1.  This fixes
> > > two nasty bugs with the XIVE interrupt controller in "dual" mode
> > > (where the guest decides which interrupt controller it wants to use).
> > > One occurs when resetting the guest while I/O is active, and the other
> > > with migration of hotplugged CPUs.
> > >
> > > The timing here is very unfortunate.  Alas, we only spotted these bugs
> > > very late, and I was sick last week, delaying analysis and fix even
> > > further.
> > >
> > > This series hasn't had nearly as much testing as I'd really like, but
> > > I'd still like to squeeze it into qemu-4.1 if possible, since
> > > definitely fixing two bad bugs seems like an acceptable tradeoff for
> > > the risk of introducing different bugs.
> >
> > Are these regressions? Are they security issues?

They're effectively regressions.  Pedantically, they're bugs in a new
feature, but since the new feature is enabled by default in the new
machine type (and it's the interrupt controller, so you can't do
without it), so it means a normal setup will be broken where the
normal setup in the old version wasn't.

> > We are going to have an rc5 today, but my intention was to only put in
> > the security-fix bug in the bochs display device, and then have
> > a final release Thursday.
>
> After thinking about this and reading the commit messages I've
> applied this pullreq, since it clearly only affects spapr and you're
> in a better position to judge the significance of the fixes than me,
> but it was really really borderline...

Fair enough.  As I said, the timing sucked, but there's not really
anything I could do about that.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson