qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [QUESTION] SDL 1.2 support

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [QUESTION] SDL 1.2 support
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 13:54:13 +0200

On 16/07/2019 13.17, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
> Hello, Gerd, Daniel, and others involved.
>
> I have multiple reports from end users that say that transition from
> SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.0 was difficult, or even impossible for their hosts.
> In that light, they don't appreciate removing SDL 1.2 support from
> QEMU. The most notable example is Ubutnu 16.04, where it looks there
> is no way of installing SDL 2.0 that does not involve complete OS
> upgrade, which, for various reasons, many are not willing to do.

What's the problem here? According to
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libsdl2-2.0-0 the library should be
available there.

> It looks to me that depreciation of SDL 1.2 was a little premature. My
> humble opinion is that we should not look at release dates of
> libraries when we deprecate them, but release dates and end-of-support
> dates of major Linux distribution that include them.

We are already doing that. Our support policy can be found here:

https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html#Linux-OS

So Ubuntu 16.04 should still be supported until April in 2020.

 Thomas