qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] question:about introduce a new feature na

From: Maxim Levitsky
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] question:about introduce a new feature named “I/O hang”
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 16:16:43 +0300

On Fri, 2019-07-05 at 09:50 +0200, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Am 04.07.2019 um 17:16 hat wangjie (P) geschrieben:
> > Hi, everybody:
> >
> > I developed a feature named "I/O hang",my intention is to solve the problem
> > like that:
> > If the backend storage media of VM disk is far-end storage like IPSAN or
> > FCSAN, storage net link will always disconnection and
> > make I/O requests return EIO to Guest, and the status of filesystem in Guest
> > will be read-only, even the link recovered
> > after a while, the status of filesystem in Guest will not recover.
>
> The standard solution for this is configuring the guest device with
> werror=stop,rerror=stop so that the error is not delivered to the guest,
> but the VM is stopped. When you run 'cont', the request is then retried.
>
> > So I developed a feature named "I/O hang" to solve this problem, the
> > solution like that:
> > when some I/O requests return EIO in backend, "I/O hang" will catch the
> > requests in qemu block layer and
> > insert the requests to a rehandle queue but not return EIO to Guest, the I/O
> > requests in Guest will hang but it does not lead
> > Guest filesystem to be read-only, then "I/O hang" will loop to rehandle the
> > requests for a period time(ex. 5 second) until the requests
> > not return EIO(when backend storage link recovered).
>
> Letting requests hang without stopping the VM risks the guest running
> into timeouts and deciding that its disk is broken.
I came to say exactly this.
While developing the nvme-mdev I also had this problem and due to assumptions
built in the block layer,
you can't just let the guest wait forever for a request.

Note that Linux's nvme driver does know how to retry failed requests, including
these that timed out if that helps in any way.

Best regards,
        Maxim Levitsky