qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] New Year's starting over ... bsd-user

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] New Year's starting over ... bsd-user
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 14:26:56 +0200

[Reviving an old thread]

Hi Sean,

On 1/3/17 5:18 PM, Sean Bruno wrote:
> I'm pondering where to start with getting FreeBSD's bsd-user code into
> shape so it could actually be reviewed and accepted now that its sort of
> working again (signal handling fixed finally).
>
> I almost feel like the existing code should be purged, except that it
> gives a good history (and this seems lazy to me).
>
> As a first pass, I guess, I'd like to at least make i386 user run on
> x86_64.  What would you folks like to see in a first pass?
>
> sean
>
> ref: https://github.com/seanbruno/qemu-bsd-user/tree/bsd-user

Looking at your repository I see you are still active and merging
patches from other users.

Could you summarize how your tree differs from the upstream one?
I guess your work could benefit other users, stucked at the current
broken state of bsd-user.

Some users who reported they switched to the Unicorn Engine [*], I
haven't looked at it yet, since I found this thread first, while reading
on deprecating unsupported code (another old thread):
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2017-03/msg03519.html

Thanks,

Phil.

[*] https://www.unicorn-engine.org/