qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/2] Add a UUID device property to IPMI

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/2] Add a UUID device property to IPMI
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 19:10:50 +0100

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 13:48, <address@hidden> wrote:

> I believe we are not in softfreeze yet, and this is the only real
> fix I have for IPMI at the moment.
>
> This was posted Nov 2018 with little commentary.
>
> The following changes since commit 474f3938d79ab36b9231c9ad3b5a9314c2aeacde:
>
>   Merge remote-tracking branch
> 'remotes/amarkovic/tags/mips-queue-jun-21-2019' into staging (2019-06-21
> 15:40:50 +0100)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
>   git://github.com/cminyard/qemu.git tags/ipmi-for-release-20190627
>
> for you to fetch changes up to bddef5881d0c935a5d9d8e15f822d9d700666ae6:
>
>   ipmi: Add a UUID device property (2019-06-26 15:31:33 -0500)

> Add a UUID device property to IPMI
>
> This is fairly important for two reasons:
>
> * It allows a BMC to be created with no UUID, returning an error, which
>   is the behavior of many BMCs in the world.
> * It lets the user set the UUID to a fixed value.
>
> Some software using IPMI will get confused if it gets different UUIDs
> from what should be the same device, which is what happens now if qemu
> quits and restarts.

> Corey Minyard (2):
>       qdev: Add a no default uuid property
>       ipmi: Add a UUID device property

I have to say I'm not entirely happy with applying a pullreq
with patches that are unreviewed and were last posted on list
over six months ago. Can you post a v2 to try to solicit code
review for them before we put them into master, please?

(Sometimes patches don't get review, and we generally take
them anyway; I do that myself from time to time. It's the
combination of the six-months-since-patches-posted plus the
imminent freeze deadline that gives me pause in this case.)

thanks
-- PMM