qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU/KVM migration backwards compatibility broken?

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU/KVM migration backwards compatibility broken?
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:07:38 +0100

* Liran Alon (address@hidden) wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > But we want to avoid failed migrations if we can; so in general we don't
> > want to be sending subsections to destinations that can't handle them.
> > The only case where it's reasonable is when there's a migration bug such
> > that the behaviour in the guest is really nasty; if there's a choice
> > between a failed migration or a hung/corrupt guest I'll take a failed
> > migration.
> >
> >> Third, let’s assume all hosts in fleet was upgraded to new_kernel. How do
> >> I modify all launched QEMUs on these new hosts to now have
> >> “x-migrate-smi-count” set to true?
> >> As I would like future migrations to do send this VMState subsection.
> >> Currently there is no QMP command to update these flags.
> >
> > I guess that's possible - it's pretty painful though; you're going to
> > have to teach your management layer about features/fixes of the kernels
> > and which flags to tweak in qemu.  Having said that, if you could do it,
> > then you'd avoid having to restart VMs to pick up a few fixes.
> >
> >> Fourth, I think it’s not trivial for management-plane to be aware with
> >> which flags it should set on destination QEMU based on currently running
> >> kernels on fleet.
> >> It’s not the same as machine-type, as already discussed above doesn’t
> >> change during the entire lifetime of guest.
> >
> > Right, which is why I don't see your idea of adding flags will work.
> > I don't see how anything will figure out what the right flags to use
> > are.
> > (Getting the management layers to do sane things with the cpuid flags
> > is already a nightmare, and they're fairly well understood).
> >
> >> I’m also not sure it is a good idea that we currently control flags such
> >> as “x-migrate-smi-count” from machine-type.
> >> As it means that if a guest was initially launched using some old QEMU, it
> >> will *forever* not migrate some VMState subsection during all it’s
> >> Live-Migrations.
> >> Even if all hosts and all QEMUs on fleet are capable of migrating this
> >> state properly.
> >> Maybe it is preferred that this flag was specified as part of “migrate”
> >> command itself in case management-plane knows it wishes to migrate even
> >> though dest QEMU
> >> is older and doesn’t understand this specific VMState subsection.
> >>
> >> I’m left pretty confused about QEMU’s migration compatibility strategy...
> >
> > The compatibility strategy is the machine type;  but yes it does
> > have a problem when it's not really just a qemu version - but also
> > kernel (and external libraries, etc).
> > My general advice is that users should be updating their kernels and
> > qemus together; but I realise there's lots of cases where that
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > Dave
>
> I think it’s not practical advise to expect users to always upgrade kernel
> and QEMU together.
> In fact, users prefer to upgrade them separately to avoid doing major
> upgrades at once and to better pin-point root-cause of issues.

It's tricky; for distro-based users, hitting 'update' and getting both
makes a lot of sense; but as you say you ened to let them do stuff
individually if they want to, so they can track down problems.
There's also a newer problem which is people want to run the QEMU in
containers on hosts that have separate update schedules - the kernel
version relationship is then much more fluid.

> Compiling all above very useful discussion (thanks for this!), I may have a
> better suggestion that doesn’t require any additional flags:
> 1) Source QEMU will always send all all VMState subsections that is deemed by
> source QEMU as required to not break guest semantic behaviour.
> This is done by .needed() methods that examine guest runtime state to
> understand if this state is required to be sent or not.

So that's as we already do.

> 2) Destination QEMU will provide a generic QMP command which allows to set
> names of VMState subsections that if accepted on migration stream
> and failed to be loaded (because either subsection name is not implemented or
> because .post_load() method failed) then the failure should be ignored
> and migration should continue as usual. By default, the list of this names
> will be empty.

The format of the migration stream means that you can't skip an unknown
subsection; it's not possible to resume parsing the stream without
knowing what was supposed to be there. [This is pretty awful
but my last attempts to rework it hit a dead end]

So we still need to tie subsections to machine types; that way
you don't send them to old qemu's and there for you don't have the
problem of the qemu receiving something it doesn't know.

Still, you could skip things where the destination kernel doesn't know
about it.

> 3) Destination QEMU will implement .post_load() method for all these VMState
> subsections that depend on kernel capability to be restored properly
> such that it will fail subsection load in case kernel capability is not
> present. (Note that this load failure will be ignored if subsection name is
> specified in (2)).
>
> Above suggestion have the following properties:
> 1) Doesn’t require any flag to be added to QEMU.

There's no logical difference between 'flags' and 'names of subsections'
- they're got the same problem in someone somewhere knowing which are
  safe.

> 2) Moves all control on whether to fail migration because of failure to load
> VMState subsection to receiver side. Sender always attempts to send max state
> he believes is required.
> 3) We remove coupling of migration compatibility from machine-type.
>
> What do you think?

Sorry, can't do (3) - we need to keep the binding for subsections to
machine types for qemu compatibility;  I'm open for something for
kernel compat, but not when it's breaking the qemu subsection
checks.

Dave