qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecation policy and build dependencies

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecation policy and build dependencies
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 19:17:51 +0100

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 19:02, John Snow <address@hidden> wrote:
> That policy strikes me as weird, because RHEL7 is not going to be, in
> general, using the latest and greatest QEMU. Usually stable versions of
> distros stick with the versions of the programs that came out at the time.
>
> What's the benefit of making sure that stable platforms can continue to
> run the *newest* QEMU? Is this even a reasonable restriction? If you are
> running RHEL7, how many projects do you expect to be able to git clone
> and build and have that work with the rest of your legacy/stable
> dependencies?

The benefit is that in general people who want to build QEMU
from source can do so. I don't want us to be the kind of
project that needs latest-and-greatest-foo for everything
to build, because that sort of project is pretty infuriating
to try to work with if you're an occasional contributor.
"Builds on LTS distros" is an easy-to-express way to keep
things from getting out of hand.

Plus a bunch of the build machines we do testing on are
not running bleeding edge distros, and as Connie says plenty
of developers do QEMU development on non-bleeding-edge versions
(my primary dev box run an LTS Ubuntu).

thanks
-- PMM