qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Introducing GSoC project: API Documentation Generation

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Introducing GSoC project: API Documentation Generation
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 12:55:36 +0200

On 21/05/19 10:53, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> Hawkmoth seems pretty attractive in its output format, but doesn't appear
> to be part of either Debian or Fedora distros, so we would have to bundle
> it in QEMU I expect.  My big concern there is that there have only been
> 2 contributors to Hawkmoth in its entire 3 year existance, which makes
> me fear for its long term viability if the main author gives up.

On the plus side, I think the main author is among the people that
pushed rST and Sphinx in the kernel, so it's plausible that in the
future the kernel will pick Hawkmoth.  I agree that we should check with
him about his plans.

> QEMU should pick a tool which is well established / widely used & thus
> stands a good chance of being maintained for the long term, as we don't
> want to end up relying on abandonware in 5 years time.  The kernel-doc
> project is not widely used, but its main user is significant enough that
> it isn't likely to die through lack of maintainers.

A couple years ago I didn't have problems modifying kerneldoc for QEMU's
syntax, it was a 10 lines patch.  Unfortunately I cannot find it anymore.

Paolo