qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] cpu.fail / MDS fixes

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] cpu.fail / MDS fixes
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 18:54:31 +0100

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 07:13:56PM +0200, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> i've updated my host to kernel 4.19.43 and applied the following patch
> to my qemu 2.12.1:
> https://bugzilla.suse.com/attachment.cgi?id=798722
>
> But my guest running 4.19.43 still says:
> Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT Host state
> unknown
>
> while the host says:
> Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, SMT Host state unknown

That suggests your host OS hasn't got the new microcode installed
or has not loaded it.

You want the host to report that it is Mitigated, and for the
host's /proc/cpuinfo to report "md-clear" exists.

> I expected the guest can use the new microcode.

You've not said what CPU model you've given to the guest.

You need either "-cpu host", or if using a named CPU model
you need to explicitly turn on the "md-clear" feature
(and all previous fixes)

   eg  "-cpu Haswell,+spec-ctrl,+ssbd,+md-clear"

Regards,
Daniel