qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 12/27] target/mips: Convert to CPUClass::tlb_f

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 12/27] target/mips: Convert to CPUClass::tlb_fill
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 18:05:40 +0200

On May 14, 2019 5:26 PM, "Peter Maydell" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 May 2019 at 14:43, Aleksandar Markovic
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > This commit message is generally poor, as it explains relatively
unimportant logging issue, while not explaining the core of the change.

> I think the assumption with this sort of "refactor to change
> all instances of an API" change is that you will go and
> look at the commit message (or cover letter for the patch
> series) that introduces the new API; there's no great need
> to repeat the same justification for every commit that
> applies the refactoring to each of our dozen or more
> guest front-ends.
>
> I'm not sure that wordsmithing a commit message really
> justifies rerolling this pull request at this point.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Peter, hi.

Thanks for your engaging in the discussion!

I am not complaining about myself looking at another commit message, but
have future maintainers and future developers in mind. Their effort needed
for deciphering commit messages like this one is multiple times larger than
putting together a clear, full, and right-on-the-money message by the
submitter. The commit messages should be made convenient for their readers,
not writters, shouldn't they?

That being said, I tend to accept your judgement, and I withdraw any
request for changing elements of this pull request. Please go ahead with
integrating it, and thanks again for involving in this issue, and sorry for
taking your time.

Sincerely,
Aleksandar