qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] VirtIO RDMA

From: Yuval Shaia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] VirtIO RDMA
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 20:13:54 +0300

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 01:45:27PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 01:16:06PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:

> > Typically there will be a one-to-one mapping between QPs and CPUs (on the
> > guest).
>
> Er we are really overloading words here.. The typical expectation is
> that a 'RDMA QP' will have thousands and thousands of instances on a
> system.
>
> Most likely I think mapping 1:1 a virtio queue to a 'RDMA QP, CQ, SRQ,
> etc' is a bad idea...

We have three options, no virtqueue for QP, 1 to 1 or multiplexing. What
would be your vote on that?
I think you are for option #1, right? but in this case there is actually no
use of having a virtio-driver, isn't it?

> > However, I'm still curious about the overall intent of this driver. Where
> > would the I/O be routed _to_ ?
> > It's nice that we have a virtualized driver, but this driver is
> > intended to do I/O (even if it doesn't _do_ any I/O ATM :-)
> > And this I/O needs to be send to (and possibly received from)
> > something.
>
> As yet I have never heard of public RDMA HW that could be coupled to a
> virtio scheme. All HW defines their own queue ring buffer formats
> without standardization.

With virtio it is the time to have a standard, do you agree?

> > If so, wouldn't it be more efficient to use vfio, either by using SR-IOV or
> > by using virtio-mdev?
>
> Using PCI pass through means the guest has to have drivers for the
> device. A generic, perhaps slower, virtio path has some appeal in some
> cases.

>From experience we have with other emulated device the gap is getting lower
as the message size getting higher. So for example with message of size 2M
the emulated device gives close to line rate performances.

> > If so, how would we route the I/O from one guest to the other?
> > Shared memory? Implementing a full-blown RDMA switch in qemu?
>
> RoCE rides over the existing ethernet switching layer quemu plugs
> into
>
> So if you built a shared memory, local host only, virtio-rdma then
> you'd probably run through the ethernet switch upon connection
> establishment to match the participating VMs.

Or you may use an enhanced rxe device, which bypass the Ethernet and
perform fast copy, as backend device for the virtio-rdma emulated device.