qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Possibly incorrect data sparsification by qemu-img

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Possibly incorrect data sparsification by qemu-img
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 06:40:04 +0000

23.04.2019 18:08, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Am 23.04.2019 um 16:26 hat Martin Kletzander geschrieben:
>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 02:12:18PM +0200, Kevin Wolf wrote:
>>> Am 23.04.2019 um 13:30 hat Martin Kletzander geschrieben:

>>> This is an implementation detail. Don't rely on it. What you're doing is
>>> abusing 'qemu-img convert', so problems like what you describe are to be
>>> expected.

>>> I think what you _really_ want is a commit block job. The problem is
>>> just that you don't have a proper backing file chain, but just a bunch
>>> of NBD connections.
>>>
>>> Can't you get an NBD connection that already provides the condensed form
>>> of the whole snapshot chain directly at the source? If the NBD server
>>> was QEMU, this would actually be easier than providing each snapshot
>>> individually.
>>>
>>> If this isn't possible, I think you need to replicate the backing chain
>>> on the destination instead of converting into the same image again and
>>> again so that qemu-img knows that it must take existing data of the
>>> backing file into consideration:
>>>
>>>     qemu-img convert -O qcow2 nbd://... base.qcow2
>>>     qemu-img convert -O qcow2 -F qcow2 -B base.qcow2 nbd://...
>>> overlay1.qcow2
>>>     qemu-img convert -O qcow2 -F qcow2 -B overlay1.qcow2 nbd://...
>>> overlay2.qcow2

Is it safe in general?

Qemu often consider rounding-up allocated ranges to be safe, or just consider
unknown area as allocated.
And if this happen, we'll convert unallocated hole to allocated zeroes on
target, which will break
backing chain.

This way would be correct if on source under nbd server we have valid backing
chain too, so in case of
"rounding-up" we'll just read valid data from backing. But it is not the case
(or sorry, if I misunderstood).

--
Best regards,
Vladimir