qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question: can we hot plug a PCIe switch on machine "vir

From: Heyi Guo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question: can we hot plug a PCIe switch on machine "virt"
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 19:30:04 +0800

Hi Eric,

Could you help to confirm?

Thanks,

Heyi

On 2019/4/7 9:59, Heyi Guo wrote:
Hi Eric,

My real interesting is about the hotplug of PCIe switch, which means we don't
need to provide lots of PCIe root ports or PCIe down stream ports at the
beginning, but we can extend the capacity by hot adding PCIe switches which can
provide more hot-pluggable slots for endpoint devices.

The document docs/pcie.txt says "PCI Express Downstream Ports can't be hot-plugged
into an existing PCI Express Upstream Port" which confuses me. Does it actually mean
Downstream Ports can't be hot-plugged? For they can't be hot-plugged into an existing
Upstream Port as the doc says, either they can't be hot-plugged into an non-existing
Upstream Port or another place...

Thanks,

Heyi