qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [Qemu] questions about kvm and windows

From: 이진우
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu] questions about kvm and windows
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:23:32 +0900

We have implemented dynamic instrumentation mechanism (for guest code)
DECAF (https://github.com/sycurelab/DECAF) with 2.7 version of qemu, and we
have a few questions regarding that:

1. Why does qemu “without” kvm so slow to run Windows 10 guest?
Simply booting or connecting ssh are too slow to run Windows 10 (without
kvm), so we were not able to run our user program on Windows. We cannot
turn on kvm as we need a feature using tcg. The performance was Okay when
running Windows XP and 7 (still without kvm), but Windows 10 is
particularly slow.

2. Is it possible to keep switching between kvm and tcg at runtime?
As Windows 10 is too slow without kvm, we are thinking about a
workaround---running with kvm as much as possible and running with tcg only
if necessary (i.e., keeping switching between kvm and tcg). Will this be
technically feasible? If so, will this be quite simple to implement or need
a heavy-weight engineering?

Thanks.

JinWoo Lee