qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] About making QEMU to LIBs!

From: Samuel Ortiz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] About making QEMU to LIBs!
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 14:30:09 +0100

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 02:31:00PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 26/03/19 12:38, Yang Zhong wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:07:35AM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> >> Would separate QEMU binaries be a solution?  I think I am not as opposed
> >> to a "q35-lite" machine type these days, I find it preferrable to share
> >> the northbridge and southbridge with Q35 and just get rid of IDE, VGA,
> >> IOAPIC, legacy ISA devices etc.  The chipset would stay the same as q35
> >> so that we keep secure boot, share the code for ACPI stuff (hotplug),
> >> and if the OS needs it we can also add back the RTC.
> >>
> >   Paolo, i am doing NEMU rebase work and will make up these patches for
> >   upstream. You do not want to add extra machine type for x86 ? There
> >   are two type of light weight solutions in our intel
> >   1) qemu-lite
> >      PVH has been merged into Qemu 4.0, which seems there is no chance
> >      for our skip bios solution for upstream?
> >   2) NEMU
> >      Our previous plan is to upstream NEMU's virt platform into Qemu.
>
> Personally I don't see any advantage in the virt platform compared to
> q35-lite.
The way you describe q35-lite makes it fairly close to NEMU's virt.
Legacy vs hw-reduced ACPI and chipset emulation would be the main
differences iiuc. Besides secure boot support (I still need to
understand why the latter needs the former, sorry), are there any
compelling reasons for keeping ICH9 emulation?

Cheers,
Samuel.