qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] question about 9pfs fsdriver types

From: Greg Kurz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] question about 9pfs fsdriver types
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:15:08 +0100

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 11:57:04 +0200
"П, Алексей" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi there. Cannot find any info and examples about "proxy" and "handle"
> types of fsdriver of virtfs. Can anyone advise me description of?
> Witrh regards/

Hi,

The "handle" backend was deprecated in QEMU 2.12, for various reasons...
requires elevated privileges, broken symlinks, no known users. The code
got removed for upcoming QEMU 4.0.

About "proxy", maybe I'll try to find some time to update the wiki
at https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/9psetup .

In the meantime, here's an example:

1) start the helper as root in some shell

$ sudo virtfs-proxy-helper -n -p /var/tmp/test \
                -s /var/tmp/virtfs-proxy-sock \
                -u $(id -u) -g $(id -g)
Started

2) start QEMU in some other shell

$ qemu-system-x864_64 ${YOUR_FAVORITE_CMDLINE_ARGUMENTS} \
                -fsdev proxy,id=fs0,socket=/var/tmp/virtfs-proxy-sock \
                -device virtio-9p-pci,fsdev=fs0,mount_tag=${SOME_TAG}

Cheers,

--
Greg