qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [build-error] possible build error at the tip of the tr

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [build-error] possible build error at the tip of the trunk? (dtc-related?)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 13:39:54 +0000

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 01:14:35PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 12:09, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 04:49:15PM +0000, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
> > > Hello, all
> > >
> > > All of the sudden, the latest code doesn't build on my host: (the code
> > > from several days ago builds fine)
> > >
> > > Do you know what would be the culprit? Is it my environment, or a genuine
> > > build error?
> >
> > CCing Jafar, who also hit this issue.
> >
> > Not sure if it has been debugged yet.  I couldn't reproduce it locally
> > but was probably using a slightly older tree.
>
> I think it is related to something going wrong with
> the script that updates submodules, which fails to
> actually pull in the submodule code for dtc etc.
> This bug is triggered because the configure script adds
> "slirp" to the list of submodules even though it is not
> actually a submodule. Dan was looking at this a few days
> back, IIRC.

Yeah I was able to reproduce initially but then all of a sudden it
went away & I've not been able to get any of my many QEMU checkouts
to reproduce.

When manually invoking the update script passing in non-existant
submodule it seems to already do the right thing and ignore it.

So these two things combined makes fixing it hard :-(

> We should fix the update script to be more robust to
> being asked to update nonexistent submodules, but
> we should also stop asking it to do anything with
> the nonexistent 'slirp' submodule...

Yes, we should none the less stop asking for a slirp module that
doesn't exist as that's clearly wrong until we do actually switch
to using a submodule.

Regards,
Daniel