qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:24:07 -0600

On 3/7/19 1:04 PM, Eric Blake wrote:

> I don't mind a switch to mandatory out-of-tree builds (I like the
> convenience of in-tree for quick hacks, but VPATH is infinitely more
> flexible when testing multiple build configurations in parallel, and
> I've worked on other projects with mandatory VPATH builds without seeing
> too many complaints there).

I will add: The GNU Coding Standards require both in-tree and
out-of-tree builds to work (and you get that with Autotool'd projects).
But since qemu is intentionally not using Autotools, and is not a GNU
project, it is merely an annoyance to me if in-tree builds are broken
(I'm much more annoyed by projects that don't support VPATH builds than
by projects that don't support in-tree builds).

And if switching to out-of-tree-only eases maintenance burdens (less
.gitignore patches from me, for starters :), then we can spend developer
time on more important stuff.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226