qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 07:39:46 +0100

On 06/03/2019 19.12, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> lately I have been thinking of converting the QEMU build system to
> Meson.  Meson is a relatively new build system that can replace
> Autotools or hand-written Makefiles such as QEMU; as a die-hard
> Autotools fan, I must say that Meson is by far better than anything else
> that has ever tried to replace Autotools, and actually has the potential
> to do so.
>
> Advantages of Meson that directly matter for QEMU include:[...]

I'm not objecting a new build system per se, but could you elaborate on
 problems of the current QEMU build system that will be fixed by this
change? Since apart from some minor glitches (with the *.mak file
dependencies for example), the current build system seems to work quite
well for me ... so at least I currently don't feel enough pain yet to do
such a big step, just because there is another new cool build system
around...

Just my 0.02 €, of course.

 Thomas

PS: I just saw https://mesonbuild.com/Dependencies.html#cmake ... that's