qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way.

From: liebrecht
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 17:46:17 -0500

I have been using Qemu in the past about 8 years ago or so to run legacy windows software.

I installed the latest qemu and noticed a lot changed and cant find conclusive answers online.

I am writing this post to find what is the right way to start to set up qemu with a windows 7 pro guest. I want to try and eliminate the iterations and find out what is really possible for the guest.

Hardware used"
24 Core AMD rackserver.
Host OS Debian 9 Stretch
Guest Windows 7 Pro 32 bit

Requirements:
1) I need to be able to run at least 4 processors in the guest. Is this possible with qemu as hosts ? 2) I need to at least have sound working from applications in the guest with pulseaudio on the Debian host. Is it possible ?
3) USB, what is the level of support 2.0 3.0 ?
( However windo$ 7 cannot really do USB3. so usb-3 is moot anyway)
4) What kind of devices can be run through usb ?

The answers to 1-4 will be really helpful to decide if I should even be using it. The documentation is schetchy about all this. I tried Virtualbox, but it is just a nice looking empty promisebox yielding nothing. Since Qemu helped me a lot in the past I will have better chances here.

5) I am currently installing win7pro guest with command
$] qemu-system-x86_64 -boot c -cdrom /dev/cdrom -m 2048M

and left out all the network card and sound driver switches as I have no clue what I should choose.
Can they be configured afterwards ?

Thanks