qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] Attempt to implement the standby feature for

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] Attempt to implement the standby feature for assigned network devices
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 13:20:22 -0500

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 10:06:18AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> [...]
> > > guest
> > > and then later hotplug a VFIO device to accelerate the existing
> > > virtio-net NIC.
> > > Or similarly after migration there might not be any VFIO device available
> > > initially when QEMU is started to accept the incoming migration. So it
> > > might
> > > need to run in degraded mode for an extended period of time until one
> > > becomes
> > > available for hotplugging. The use of qdev IDs makes this troublesome, as
> > > the
> > > qdev ID of the future VFIO device would need to be decided upfront before
> > > it
> > > even exists.
> >

> > > So overall I'm not really a fan of the dynamic hiding/unhiding of
> > > devices. I
> > > would much prefer to see some way to expose an explicit relationship
> > > between
> > > the devices to the guest.
> >
> > If we place the burden of determining whether the guest supports STANDBY
> > on the part of users/management, a lot of this complexity goes away. For
> > instance, one possible implementation is to simply fail migration and say
> > "sorry your VFIO device is still there" if the VFIO device is still around
> > at the start of migration (whether due to unplug failure or a
> > user/management forgetting to do it manually beforehand).
> >
> > So how important is it that setting F_STANDBY cap doesn't break older
> > guests? If the idea is to support live migration with VFs then aren't
> > we still dead in the water if the guest boots okay but doesn't have
> > the requisite functionality to be migrated later? Shouldn't that all
> > be sorted out as early as possible? Is a very clear QEMU error message
> > in this case insufficient?
> >
> > And if backward compatibility is important, are there alternative
> > approaches? Like maybe starting off with a dummy MAC and switching over
> > to the duplicate MAC only after F_STANDBY is negotiated? In that case
> > we could still warn users/management about it but still have the guest
> > be otherwise functional.
>
> Relying on F_STANDBY negotiation to decide whether to activate the VFIO
> device is a bad idea. PCI devices are precious, so if the guest OS does
> not support this standby feature, we must never add the VFIO device to
> QEMU in the first place.
>
> We have the libosinfo project which provides metadata on what features
> different guest OS versions support. This can be used to indicate whether
> a guest OS version supports the standby NIC concept and thus avoid needing
> to allocate PCI devices to guests that will never use them.
>
> F_STANDBY is still useful as a flag to inform the guest OS that it should
> pair up NICs with identical MACs, as opposed to configuring them separately.
> It shouldn't be used to show/hide the device though, we should simply never
> add the 2nd device if we know it won't be used by a given guest OS version.

I think what you say about using libosinfo to preserve PCI resources
is a very good idea.

I do however disagree with relying on it for correctness.

For example it seems very reasonable to only use virtio
during boot and then only enable a PT device once OS is active.

In short we need to minimise guest and management smarts required for
basic functionality.  What you propose seems to be going back to the
original ideas involving everything from guest firmware up to higher
level management stack. I don't see a problem with someone working on
such designs but it didn't happen in the 5 years since it was proposed
for Fedora.