qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and Kconfig

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and Kconfig
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 11:10:21 +0100

On 08/11/2018 22:00, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> Understood.  My interpretation of "target" was just "a QEMU
> binary".  In other words, I thought we were talking about
> anything that could be compiled in/out from a specific QEMU
> binary.

The idea is "target" as opposed to "host".

> Do you have a specific reason to restrict the scope to only
> guest-visible effects?  Is this just a way to reduce the effort
> required for the task, or there are other caveats I'm missing?

Because that's what default-configs/ is for---producing
config-devices.mak.  IOW it's mostly to reduce the scope, but also
because there are differences between config-devices.mak (produced from
default-configs/) and config-{host,target}.h (produced by configure).

In particular, config-host.h and config-target.h are header files, but
config-devices.mak is not because the same file is linked into multiple
QEMU binaries that can and will enable different devices.  The only way
to use a hypothetical config-devices.h would be to move its users from
common-obj-y to obj-y.

Paolo