qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and Kconfig

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and Kconfig
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 10:55:21 +0100

On 07/11/2018 20:30, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 2018-11-07 20:24, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
>
> I think we would still have something like default-configs - but there
> would only be the bare minimum config switches in there, the rest would
> be pulled in by dependencies.

Yes, in theory default-configs would end up empty, except for possibly
some commented lines to show the "default y" symbols for the target.

> We could then also even have multiple config directories:
>
> ./configs
>  +-------/default-softmmu
>  +-------/default-linux-user
>  +-------/nemu (or lean-kvm or something similar)
>  +...
>
> ... just my 0.02 €, feel free to ignore that idea ;-)

Yup, one can also think of a configure option like "./configure
--with-device-config=configs/nemu/" to pick up the alternative
configurations.

>> Also, I would like to eventually replace many ./configure options
>> with options read from a build configuration file.
>>
>> Distributions often have huge ./configure command lines in their
>> QEMU packages, and they could be replaced by simple build
>> configuration files.
>>
>> Having a mode that requires all build options to be specified
>> explicitly (instead of silently picking a default) would be
>> useful for distributions, too.
>
> I think we should maybe not mix host configuration (via ./configure) and
> the target configuration (via kconfig), should we?

Yeah, the configure command line is a different story.  If there are
suggestion on how to improve it, great, but let's not conflate it with
Kconfig.

Paolo