qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] List of files containing devices which have not been QO

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] List of files containing devices which have not been QOMified
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 16:22:44 +0100

On 7/11/18 0:06, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 6 November 2018 at 19:16, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <address@hidden> wrote:
On 6/11/18 19:43, Peter Maydell wrote:

I had an idea for how to get a rough list of source files
containing devices that haven't been QOMified. The theory
is that a pre-QOM device generally has an "init" function
which allocates memory for the device struct. So looking in
hw/ for files which call g_new*() or g_malloc*() should get
us all the non-QOM devices (as well as a pile of false
positives, of course). The following link is the result of
doing that and then eyeballing the results for false positives
and throwing those out. It might have missed one or two
files or included one or two by mistake. But I think it's
pretty close, and it seems to have caught all the obvious
ones I knew about. There are 61 files on this list.

I am also suspicious about hw/bt/ but don't know enough
about that subsystem to say if it could benefit from
using QOM objects more.

hw/arm/exynos4210.c

I already did this one.

hw/sd/omap_mmc.c
I will do this one.

I have some out-of-tree stuff that deals with this device
(part of the omap3 patchset tries to do some QOMification,
but it was a bit tangled with adding omap3 features),
so if you could hold off on working on the various omap
devices in this set that might be better, til I see
whether any of the out-of-tree code is usefully salvageable.

Sure, go ahead with OMAP, this is the last thing I want to touch.

I wondered if there is sens to work on the OMAP devices then read your thought "I'm not sure what exactly (other than tidiness) we gain from converting remaining non-QOM devices."