qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] List of files containing devices which have not been QO

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] List of files containing devices which have not been QOMified
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 23:06:44 +0000

On 6 November 2018 at 19:16, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 6/11/18 19:43, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>
>> I had an idea for how to get a rough list of source files
>> containing devices that haven't been QOMified. The theory
>> is that a pre-QOM device generally has an "init" function
>> which allocates memory for the device struct. So looking in
>> hw/ for files which call g_new*() or g_malloc*() should get
>> us all the non-QOM devices (as well as a pile of false
>> positives, of course). The following link is the result of
>> doing that and then eyeballing the results for false positives
>> and throwing those out. It might have missed one or two
>> files or included one or two by mistake. But I think it's
>> pretty close, and it seems to have caught all the obvious
>> ones I knew about. There are 61 files on this list.
>>
>> I am also suspicious about hw/bt/ but don't know enough
>> about that subsystem to say if it could benefit from
>> using QOM objects more.
>>

>> hw/arm/exynos4210.c
>
> I already did this one.
>
>> hw/sd/omap_mmc.c
> I will do this one.

I have some out-of-tree stuff that deals with this device
(part of the omap3 patchset tries to do some QOMification,
but it was a bit tangled with adding omap3 features),
so if you could hold off on working on the various omap
devices in this set that might be better, til I see
whether any of the out-of-tree code is usefully salvageable.

thanks
-- PMM