qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] No more chameleon devices

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] No more chameleon devices
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 15:38:58 +0100

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 03:15:31PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 18 October 2018 at 15:11, Marcel Apfelbaum
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Maybe would be a step toward a clean "socket-device" modeling (what goes
> > where)
> > and also QEMU emulation would be cleaner since in bare metal you cannot
> > plug a PCIe device into a PCI slot and vice-versa or have the same device ID
> > for both a PCI and a PCIe device.
>
> So the command line would then distinguish "-device ne2k-pci" and
> "-device ne2k-pcie", and users need to know whether the machine they're
> using implements PCI or PCIe, and use the right device name accordingly?

I can understand the rational for splitting the virtio devices, because
of the way they completely change their functionality, even PCI device ID,
depending on whether plugged into a pci or pcie slot.

I'm not seeing the real world benefit of creating -pci vs -pcie for all
the other non-virtio devices. AFAIK, the existing devices work the same
regardless of what bus they are plugged into. So why would a user/app
want to use such devices ? It feels like extra work for no clear benefit

Regards,
Daniel