qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Can I convert backing file to internal snapshot?

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Can I convert backing file to internal snapshot?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:05:43 +0800

On Fri, 09/14 12:23, lampahome wrote:
> Can I convert from internap snapshot to external snapshot?
> If there's 3 snapshots in one qcow2, can I convert them all to external
> snapshots?

Qcow2 doesn't track internal snapshot dependencies like external snapshot, so
there is no direct way to create the "differentiative" or "delta" images in the
same way as would be with external snapshots. In theory it's possible to convert
all internal snapshots to separate full images then create delta by
sector-by-sector comparison.

Fam