qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v3 06/15] hw/arm/virt: Allocate device_memory

From: Auger Eric
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v3 06/15] hw/arm/virt: Allocate device_memory
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 11:54:24 +0200

Hi Igor,
On 08/09/2018 10:45 AM, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 11:33:23 +0200
> Auger Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>> On 07/18/2018 03:00 PM, Igor Mammedov wrote:
>> [...]
>>> it's upto QEMU to pick layout, if we have maxmem (upto 256Gb) we could
>>> accommodate legacy req and put single device_memory in 1Gb-256Gb GPA gap,
>>> if it's more we can move whole device_memory to 2Tb, 8Tb ...
>>> that keeps things manageable for us and fits specs (if such exist).
>>> WE should make selection of the next RAM base deterministic is possible
>>> when layout changes due to maxram size or IOVA, so that we won't need
>>> to use compat knobs/checks to keep machine migratable.
>> Sorry for the delay. I was out of the office those past weeks.
>>
>> OK understood. Your preferred approach is to have a contiguous memory
>> region (initial + hotplug). So this depends on the FW capability to
>> support flexible RAM base. Let's see how this dependency gets resolved.
> I think Drew had already a look at FW side of the issue and has
> a prototype to works with.
> Once he's back in the office he planned to work on upstreaming EDK
> and qemu parts.
>
>> This series does not bump the non hotpluggable memory region limit,
>> which is still limited to 255GB. The only way to add more memory is
>> though PCDIMM or NVDIMM (max 2TB atm). To do so you need to add ,maxmem
>> and ,slots options which need to be on both source and dest, right, +
>> the PCDIMM/NVDIMM device option lines? Also the series checks the
>> destination has at least the same IPA range capability as the source,
>> which conditions the fact the requested device_memory size can be
>> accommodated. At the moment I fail to see what are the other compat
>> knobs I must be prepared to handle.
> it looks the same to me.
>
> We might use presence of slot/maxmem options as a knob to switch
> to a new all DIMM layout (initial + hotplug) with floating ram base.
> That way guests/fw that are designed to work with fixed RAM base will
> work just fine by default and guests/fw that are to work with
> mem hotplug or large RAM need vfio holes will use floating RAM base.
> Does it seem reasonable?

Yep, personally I don't have a strong option regarding using a single
contiguous RAM range or separate ones. I had the impression that both
were feasible but I also understand the concern about potential
migration compat issues you may have encountered in the past on pc
machine. As far as Peter is OK we can investigate the floating RAM base
solution and I will work closely with Drew to rebase this work.

Thanks

Eric