qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to generate custom fw paths for IDE devices?

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to generate custom fw paths for IDE devices?
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 18:19:59 +0100

On 19/07/18 09:29, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

(updating Marcel's address to his GMail one)

On 07/18/18 23:13, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
Hi all,

Following on from a couple of patches I've previously posted to the
mailing list at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-06/msg08836.html I've
made some good progress with trying to add bootindex support to OpenBIOS
but I'm stuck with generating the IDE device paths from QEMU.

According to OpenBIOS the device path for a cdrom on a sun4u machine
should be:

/address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden

whereas with my working patchset I'm currently generating:

   /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden

The issue is that the address@hidden part is being generated by the IDE drive
device attached to the IDE bus in hw/ide/qdev.c, and so I think I need
to override idebus_get_fw_dev_path() to manually generate the remainder
of the path including both the controller and the correctly named drive
node.

One option may be to consider subclassing IDEBus and overriding
idebus_get_fw_dev_path() there, but the cmd646 device is a child of
TYPE_PCI_IDE which has its own internal IDEBus and so it seems
overriding it is impossible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to generate the
correct fw path for IDE devices in the above format for sun4u machines?

What prevents you from recognizing, in the guest firmware, the
OpenFirmware device path that is currently generated by QEMU?

In a word: compatibility. With the older SPARC/PPC machines the OSs are *very* picky about device names and often make assumptions about the DT layout instead of parsing it properly, simply because at that time no-one really thought of running the software on anything but a real machine.

I mean, the device path generated by QEMU looks technically correct; it
reflects how the IDE controller sits in a PCI B/D/F, and how the IDE
drive sits on an IDE controller. Or do you actually have an intermediate
IDE controller (at "address 0x8100" on the top IDE controller) in the
sun4u machine type? Is the address 0x8100 actually needed by the firmware?

If so, perhaps you could turn that intermediate IDE controller
("internal IDEBus") into its own class, and chain the instance of that
class like the rest of the bus controllers are chained. (Just
speculating...)

In the case of the IDE device, the devices represent the primary/secondary interfaces and not the separate controllers: the primary lives at 0x8000 and the secondary at 0x8100.

The other problem with changing this is that currently as there is no bootindex support, these map to the legacy -hda and -cdrom options correctly so even if I could do this, and even if all the OSs would still parse the device path, it would have to be a complete cutover which would likely involve me being on the receiving end of some angry emails.

For PPC I've been playing with the macio device because MacOS refused to boot unless the nodes are named "ata-3" and "ata-4". So far I've only been able to do this by implementing a "dummy" macio Bus, reworking and attaching the macio-ide device to it, implementing minial Bus support, and then overriding the fw path function to rewrite the device name based upon its QOM type. That's a whole lot of work just to rename a device from "ide" to "ata-3" in the DT.

If you take a look at the function Thomas mentioned in his email (https://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=hw/ppc/spapr.c;h=421b2dd09b515502cd11ccdd26420a8117f80cda;hb=e1ea55668ffe6ce558a063f3a9621b761738e1f2#l2866) suddenly it makes sense why I had to suggest patches for naming PCI devices: the SLOF/SPAPR authors decided to replace the entire FwPathProvider so then all that is necessary is to rewrite the paths for the relevant devices in one place; this also nicely handles the difference between IDE vs. SCSI vs. USB vs. virtio DT nodes.

I certainly think it's worth keeping the PCI/sysbus patches I submitted to simplify the required logic, however it's clear to me that the above solution from SPAPR is going to be the best way forward for PPC and SPARC. Presumably this also explains why the patches didn't exist in the first place because the SLOF/SPAPR folks ignored the existing infrastructure and went ahead and did their own thing.

From a design perspective I can completely understand why someone would come up with a design with a 1:1 correspondence between qdev and fw paths, but in reality it's the details that mean this just doesn't quite work in real life. In particular ISTM it's a big red flag that both IEEE-1275-based BIOSes, OpenBIOS and SLOF (upon which the design is heavily influenced) have to ignore the infrastructure based upon qdev and provide their own implementations.

Are there any other similar issues around other BIOSes, e.g. s390, SeaBIOS at all?

ATB,

Mark.