qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] issue about numa configure

From: linzhecheng
Subject: [Qemu-devel] issue about numa configure
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:21:36 +0000

Hi, all
I found that qemu has a constraint in function numa_node_parse now:
     If (node->has_memdev != have_memdevs) {
         Error_setg(errp, "qemu: memdev option must be specified for either "
                    "all or no nodes");
         Return;
     }
This restricts us from being able to configure an empty numa node (without
memory and cpus). But if I delete these codes, I can start a VM with cmdline:
qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm  -m size=2G,slots=256,maxmem=300G -smp
2,maxcpus=4,sockets=4,cores=1,threads=1 -numa node,nodeid=0,cpus=0-1,mem=2048
-numa node,nodeid=1,cpus=2-3 ...
We can see only one numa node inside the VM(I have tested both linux and
windows) after beginning.
And if I hot-plug the dimm memory devices into the empty node, vm will present
a new numa node inside and the new memory is online then.
I'm wondering if you have any related issue before? Or can we remove this
constraint?
Looking forward to your answers, thanks.