qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Philipp Hahn
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 10:50:30 +0200

Hi,

Am 18.05.2018 um 17:30 schrieb Michael S. Tsirkin:
> Unfortunately this means that it's no longer possible
> to more or less reliably boot a VM just given a disk image,
> even if you select the correct QEMU binary:
> Would it be reasonable to support storing this information in the qcow
> image itself?  For example, I can see it following immediately the
> backing file path within the image.

- This looks like a layering violation
- what happens when you have multiple (conflicting) images like a VM
with 2 image files?

Philipp

PS: this is even more an issue for restoring snapshots as you the must
launch a new QEMU process with the exact layout of the saving QEMU
process - otherwise LoadVM will just fail.
PPS: I'm afraid of someone suggesting such an abomination as those self
extracting archives using shell scripts at the beginning and an
compressed archive BLOB at the end of the same file.