qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] release retrospective, next release timing, numbering

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] release retrospective, next release timing, numbering
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 09:44:03 +0200

  Hi,

> > If we bump the major version each year anyway, why not go the whole way
> > and use 2018.1, 2018.2, ... (or even <year>.<month>)? The nice thing
> > about that is that you can see at a glance when the release took place.
>
> ... or simply drop the first two digits and call them 18.1, 18.2, ...?

We could also drop the major/minor scheme altogether (as they are
meaningless anyway) and just go for YYMM, i.e. 1808 (for a august
release).

If we go for a time-based numbering scheme:  I'd prefer the year being
part of the version number, for the same reason Thomas mentioned above:
It makes it easy to see when a particular version was released.

cheers,
  Gerd