qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [sw-dev] The problem of write misa on QEMU and BBL

From: Andrew Waterman
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [sw-dev] The problem of write misa on QEMU and BBL
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 17:11:33 -0700

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Michael Clark <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > - https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu/commits/qemu-2.13-for-upstream
>> >
>> > The history is that there were several unimplemented CSRs that had
>> printf followed by exit. Richard Henderson said we should fix this. I
>> changed several CSRs to cause illegal instruction traps instead of calling
>> exit. That was a mistake as CSRs that don’t support write are WARL (Write
>> Any Read Legal). It was certainly better than having the simulation exit as
>> a cpu doesn’t typically have a way to ”exit” like a C program, nevertheless
>> trapping was wrong. My mistake. See here for the history:
>> >
>> > - https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu/blob/ff36f2f77ec3e6a6211
>> c63bfe1707ec057b12f7d/target-riscv/op_helper.c
>> >
>> > The implementation in the current tree is quite different. We have
>> recently made the CSR system more modular so that with minor changes,
>> custom CPUs will be able to hook their own control and status registers.
>> >
>> > - https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu/blob/qemu-2.13-for-upstr
>> eam/target/riscv/csr.c#L780-L867
>> >
>> > See these changes:
>> >
>> > - https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu/commit/9d9c1bfef911c520a
>> 35bd3f8c0ed2e14cc96bbb7
>> > - https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu/commit/b5a4cd79ce6c7fbb6
>> 5fdcf078fb9a8391da1d6b1
>> >
>> > We know have a flexible system that will allow implementations to hook
>> per-cpu control and status registers, and we have predicates that make CSRs
>> appear on some processor but not on others. i.e. if misa.S is not present,
>> then S-mode s* CSRs will trap. Sometimes WARL is the correct behaviour, but
>> sometimes trapping is the correct behaviour i.e. if the processor does not
>> implement S-mode.
>> >
>> > misa traps on write should only affect bootloaders as Supervisor’s like
>> Linux don’t yet have access to the isa register. It’s not a major issuse.
>> >
>> > Michael.
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Thanks for the information. The new CSR system is helpful for custom
>> CPU such as ours. Thanks.
>>
>> In the future, maybe we can do something like this in BBL for flexible
>> custom platform which has own device to control the timer, ipi and so
>> on.
>>
>> Back to the misa problem in BBL, at fp_init in BBL initial phrase, the
>> assertion will has problem because the bits of misa will not be
>> cleared.
>>
>> the code piece like below:
>>     uintptr_t fd_mask = (1 << ('F' - 'A')) | (1 << ('D' - 'A'));
>>     clear_csr(misa, fd_mask);
>>     assert(!(read_csr(misa) & fd_mask));
>>
>> I think that the assertion is not necessary even the clear misa.
>>

> I agree. The specification makes no guarantee that misa writes are not
> ignored so it is legal for a processor that supports FD to drop misa writes
> and the assertion will trigger on legal RISC-V implementations. That code
> piece does not support legal RISC-V implementations that can't disable F
> and D. Disabling F and D should not be asserted because it is harmless if

The problem is that BBL cannot cope with this inconsistent scenario.  If pk
is compiled with to assume no floating-point, there had better be no
floating-point.  If you remove the assertion, it will break in other ways
later during in execution.

If you don't want the assertion to fire, compile BBL to match the ISA.