qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu RFC v2] qapi: add "firmware.json"

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu RFC v2] qapi: add "firmware.json"
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 13:52:19 +0200

On 04/18/18 11:43, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 18/04/2018 00:40, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> +#
>> +# Lists firmware types commonly used with QEMU virtual machines.
>> +#
>> +# @bios: The firmware was built from the SeaBIOS project.
>> +#
>> +# @slof: The firmware was built from the Slimline Open Firmware project.
>> +#
>> +# @uboot: The firmware was built from the U-Boot project.
>> +#
>> +# @uefi: The firmware was built from the edk2 (EFI Development Kit II)
>> project.
>> +#
>> +# Since: 2.13
>> +##
>> +{ 'enum' : 'FirmwareType',
>> +  'data' : [ 'bios', 'slof', 'uboot', 'uefi' ] }
>
> A very basic question (so not likely a suggestion for change).  Why
> wouldn't these be features too?  For example a UEFI with CSM could
> expose both uefi and bios, a u-boot with UEFI support could expose both
> uboot and uefi, etc.

Good point. I considered "type" to be a given, from the initial
brainstorming, but if Dan is OK with your suggestion, I can turn these
into features as well.

> Perhaps there are two dimensions, the FirmwareType tells you how to
> configure it and the FirmwareFeature tells you the APIs it exposes to
> the guest?

I don't know enough firmware types to answer this :) I believe I agree
about the FirmwareFeature statement (if we also include "platform
requirements" there), but I have no clue about any generalizations for
firmware configuration.

Thanks,
Laszlo